NEW DELHI: Delhi Police on Friday said they have initiated legal action and begun an investigation into the “sudden hype” and amplified social media chatter around missing persons—particularly girls—in the capital. An initial technical inquiry found that a surge of posts on X and Instagram was being pushed through paid promotions allegedly linked to an upcoming movie. Sources said an FIR was being registered in connection with the incident.
“Creating panic for monetary gains will not be tolerated, and strict action will be taken against such individuals,” Delhi Police said in a statement. “After following a few leads, we discovered that the hype around the surge in missing girls in Delhi is being pushed through paid promotion,” it added. Delhi Police PRO Sanjay Tyagi urged people not to fall for motivated rumours. “There is no need to fear or panic regarding missing persons in Delhi, especially children. Compared to last year, there is no increase in reporting. In fact, in Jan 2026, cases have dropped,” he said. He added that Delhi Police follow a policy of fair and transparent crime reporting. Missing persons can be reported at police stations, online or through Emergency Response Support System 112. “Under our SOP, cases of missing children are prioritised. Dedicated district-level squads and the Anti Human Trafficking Unit work round the clock to ensure timely tracing,” he said. Delhi Police asserted that no involvement of an organised gang came to light regarding missing children or kidnapping. “We appeal to you to pay no heed to rumours in this regard. Appropriate action will be taken against those spreading rumour,” Tyagi added.
