Delhi govt abandons ground verification for Southern Ridge notification | Delhi News


Delhi govt abandons ground verification for Southern Ridge notification

New Delhi: A week after announcing a six-month on-ground verification plan for 12 south Delhi villages before finalising the Southern Ridge notification, Delhi govt has reversed its position. The forest department has now informed the National Green Tribunal that it will proceed directly with the notification, abandoning the verification process for these villages. The amicus in the case previously highlighted that govt had sufficient time, noting that more than four years elapsed since NGT requested the Southern Ridge notification.TOI had reported that the final notification under Section 20 for the full protection of the ridge has been pending for 31 years now. The initial notification under Section 4 of the Indian Forest Act was issued in 1994, declaring it as a reserved forest. However, the Section 4 notification should be followed by notification under Section 20 of the Indian Forest Act which is yet to be done. Based on a plea filed by activist Sonya Ghosh, NGT, in an order dated Jan 15, 2021, directed Delhi govt through the chief secretary to ensure the Section 20 notification within three months in respect of the area where there is no controversy. However, Ghosh filed an executive application in 2024 seeking compliance with the NGT’s 2021 order.The forest department earlier told NGT that it would conduct the final Section 20 notification of the southern ridge, spread over 6,200 hectares, in three phases. The tribunal on July 4 observed that though substantial time has elapsed, the notification even in respect of Phase I has not been issued.In a report dated July 23, the principal chief conservator of forests (PCCF) told NGT that a ground verification of 3,287 hectares, spread over 12 villages, will be done by Jan next year as part of Phase I. After the ground verification is carried out to ensure that these villages are encumbrance-free, the final notification under Section 20 of the Indian Forest Act will be issued for these 12 villages, the PCCF’s report said.Objecting to the report of PCCF, the amicus told NGT in a hearing dated July 25 that issuing the notification under Section 20 in the three months’ time given by the tribunal in the Jan 2021 order for areas where there is no controversy (Phase I) has elapsed.However, in the hearing taking place on July 31, the bench headed by Justice Prakash Shrivastava observed, “Learned Counsel appearing for Delhi govt and PCCF has submitted that a decision has been taken that no ground verification will be done for issuing the final notification under Section 20 in respect of Phase I.”Govt sought time to submit a fresh timeline for issuing the final notification in respect of Phase I. The matter will be heard on Aug 7.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *