Teenager’s fall to death: Case registered, mall employees quizzed; all access points were locked, claims restaurant | Delhi News


Teenager’s fall to death: Case registered, mall employees quizzed; all access points were locked, claims restaurant

New Delhi: Police have registered an FIR against unknown persons and questioned officials of Northgate Mall in Model Town in connection with the death of a teenager who fell from the mall’s rooftop on Sunday.The boy, Kabin Kumar (16), was a resident of northwest Delhi’s Gujranwala Town II and studied in Class XI. The case has been registered under section 106 (causing death by negligence) of the BNS. A spot check revealed that Northgate Mall is divided into three sections and houses cafes, restaurants and gyms. The spot where the incident took place is in the middle of the building and has vacant shops inside.At the time of the incident, Kabin was with three of his classmates. Staffers of the outlets have told police the teenagers may have used the rear door of an adjoining building to access the rooftop and later climbed onto the plastic sheet covering the main mall, from where the boy fell. A hole is visible at the spot.While earlier reports had claimed that the child fell from the rooftop of Invitation K, the restaurant maintained that all access points leading to other parts of the mall had been locked well before the incident. A relative of the boy had earlier told reporters that he had left home after taking Rs 100 from his mother, saying he was going to play billiards with his friends. Citing this account, restaurant officials denied that the teenagers ever entered its premises.People present at the spot claimed that it was not uncommon for youngsters to cross from one building to another or loiter on rooftops in the complex. They said the iron railings running along the top floor of the central area, which also support the plastic-fibre sheet stretched between the defunct shops, are often used as support under the feet by those attempting to cross over. While there is no direct access to this area from inside the mall, several back doors, including emergency staircases in the adjoining buildings, lead to rooftops.“He was a bright boy, we don’t know how he got there,” said a relative who visited the site on Tuesday. Pointing towards the plastic sheet and mapping a possible route, the family said the area should have been strictly restricted. “It was our child today, it could be anyone else’s kid tomorrow,” another family member added.The family had earlier claimed they were shown a reel allegedly made by the boys that may have led to the incident, but said it remained unclear whether it was linked to the incident. They had also alleged foul play. Police said they are awaiting the mobile phone analysis report to ascertain whether the teenager was making reels at the time.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *