New Delhi: After Delhi High Court struck down Delhi University‘s rule requiring students to deposit a security bond of Rs 1 lakh for contesting student polls, the university has now passed the burden onto parents. Guardians will be made financially liable for violations of election rules, effectively turning them into guarantors for their wards’ campaigns. In the new surety bond format seen by TOI, parents are required to declare: “WHEREAS I…do hereby stand surety for the said amount of Rs. One Lakh for any act/omission on part of said Mr./Ms….or on behalf of his/her supporters etc. for any infringement/violation of the said guidelines/notifications/orders/judgments in any manner whatsoever including defacement of University/College premises, campus or any other public property during his/her campaign for the DUSU Election 2025-2026 or even thereafter.” Parents are further asked to acknowledge that the decision of the election officer or any other authorised officer will be “final and binding” on them and their ward “without any demur or protest.” The document stated that this “unconditional and unequivocal obligation” cannot be discharged during or after the elections. Candidates, meanwhile, are required to submit an indemnity affidavit alongside the surety bond signed by their parent or guardian. In this affidavit, students undertake to indemnify the university by paying Rs 1 lakh for any act or omission by themselves or their supporters, including defacement of public property. They must also declare that their parents have consented to their candidature and have “volunteered to stand as surety” for the said amount. The affidavit mandates submission of personal and financial details of both students and their parents/guardians. This includes the name of the account holder, account number, bank name and branch and IFSC code. This comes after a meeting of Delhi University Students’ Union (DUSU) advisory committee on Tuesday. Committee chairperson and director of the South Campus, Professor Rajni Abbi, said: “In line with High Court’s decision, a notification regarding the affidavit requirement will be issued soon.”Earlier in Aug, the university had introduced a rule making it mandatory for candidates to deposit the security bond. However, the move drew sharp objections from student outfits. Last week, the high court struck down the provision, calling it “unreasonable”.
